Upgrading Phorum from 3.0.x to 3.1This article is based on a message originally posted to the Developers list by Stephen VanDyke and then posted to the general phorum list by Brian Moon.
The home page for phorum is http://www.phorum.org/
The phorum mailing list archive is at http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=phorum&r=1&w=2#phorum.
If you feel anything is missing or incorrect, please add your comments.
Step by step
- STOP Phorum (we don’t want people posting and potentially screwing up the upgrade do we?)
- edit common.php and apply the same settings you now have, specifically: $inf_path $admindir (if different, otherwise leave as-is)
- Run this little SQL Statement to update your current ‘forums’ structure, it looks safe to leave the field empty ALTER TABLE forums ADD config_suffix char(50) DEFAULT ” NOT NULL AFTER description;
- copy your updates over (make sure you don’t overwrite your /forums folder and header.php footer.php
- rebuild your inf file (I’m not sure if it’s necessary, but I like doing it)
- RESTART Phorum
- (optional) put pinky finger to mouth and charge client 1 MILLION DOLLARS for installation, mwuhahaha
If anything breaks (might happen, who knows) don’t sue me 🙂 This is just a quick tutorial on what I did to upgrade from 3.1RC3 to 3.1 Final, it took me all of 3min (without a guide) so it should be fairly easy… If anyone catches something that I may have left off, please let me know, it seemed a bit too easy, hehe. Up and running quite nicely: http://www.opido.com/phorum